Incident 1: Had a two-wheeler accident which left me with a big
deep ugly wound (which looked like Australia map scaled down to 1:??? uhhh who
cares) on my lower leg. I can put a tattoo on the wound to cover up the scar.
Or can get cosmetic surgery if I want to wear shorts/capris/skirts/dresses
anytime again in my life. All that sounded vane right then given the fact that
the stubborn wound held its own without healing for 3 whole months against the
painful debridement process, collagen dressing and all things gory. I became a
hospital regular. I made friends with nurses and doctors. Colleagues kept
demanding accident treat every month. Manager didn’t look convinced with my
occasional leave applications citing high funda medical reasons. Can’t blame
him. You believe what you see. I was not planning to show him anything. Neither
was I limping.4 Months later, it’s almost healed. Scar remains. And a lifetime
ban from riding my Activa.
Incident 2: One night after a gruesome practice session of car
driving, I parked the car successfully. Gear neutral- Check. Hand brakes on-
Check. Lights off - Check. Door lock - Check. Windows closed - Of course Check.
In fact windows(both sides) were completely down and open that it looked like
completely closed to my poor myopic eyes. Unsuspecting Husband walked away
talking on phone. Of all nights, it had to rain that night. That too profusely.
Next day morning, Husband set off to work in a waterlogged car, hardly resting
his ass on those damp seats shouting on phone “why woman why..?!!!”
Incident 3: One fine day, I reached home in a cab after seeing
off Husband at Airport. Opened the car door in sheer abandon. That very
fraction of the second, a Royal Enfield zipped past the same side of the car
which I opened. Skidding…screeching… Banging against another green Chevy Beat….
All of that flashed in front of my eyes as I said “OH SHIT” and gasped inside
the car. I saw the rider shivering and trying to regain his senses to
understand what actually happened. I said hundred sorry’s. He said it’s OK. I
knew he was not. Neither will be the Green Beat owner. I sobbed and narrated
the story to my husband. He suggested I stay indoors only so that I don’t
inflict more damage on self/ rest of the planet inmates.
Incident 4: Another fine day, I left for work forgetting the
fact that water supply had stopped and had left the kitchen tap open, in sheer
abandon again. I was welcomed home in the evening by a pool of water in kitchen
and hall. And no water left in the tank. We survived on out-sourced water for a
whole day in Chennai summer till our block’s turn came after water’s tour
around the 14 blocks. Surprisingly Husband didn’t say anything this time. May
be he ran out of options on how to contain me.
Thanks to all these and other not-so-eventful mishaps (on the
lines of leaving vessels on stove to burn, being at loggerheads with Manager at
work et al), there was 50000 feet of crap and then there was ME. My
everything’s peachy attitude jumped out of the window. I stepped out with
caution. I worked with caution. I lived with caution. I waited for all things
disheartening to happen to me. I asked God why me…
Then yet another fine day, I happened to see two purple lines on
the white stick. And then the fog lifted. I started waiting to set out on a new
wonderful journey… one of Parenthood, together with my wonderful Husband.
Well..That was supposed to be the closing note of this post. But
somebody up there had different plans. Call it irony or jinx, as soon as I
finished penning this down, the grave truth surfaced itself. The journey ended
even before it started. I found myself in dark dungeons of agony, guilt,
disbelief. I kept asking God why me. But as someone said, Life will knock us
down, you can decide whether or not to stand up. You just need a little helping
hand. For that i have my family around. Stand up I will. But the memories of a
short and sweet dream which ended abruptly leaving me bruised and battered will
stay... Forever...
No comments:
Post a Comment